Labor Day Camping, Hiking & Whitewater rafting
Labor Day Weekend Camping (2 nights), Hiking and Whitewater Rafting
1st Year Scout parents are welcome!!
- Meet at CVS parking lot: 6am. Saturday, Sept. 1st and depart around 6:30am (eat or back breakfast before leaving)
- Drive to Mt Greylock to Jones Nose Trailhead for a 7.5 mile hike to the summit, have lunch and back
- Sunday, Sept. 2nd , 11 am: Rafting on whitewater rapids, on the Deerfield River system.
- Return home: ETA 1 pm, Monday, Sept. 3rd 2018
Cost: $128 per scout
Where: Mohawk Trail State Forest, Cold River Road, Charlemont, MA 01339
What: Camping at Mohawk Trail State Forest, Whitewater Rafting on Deerfield River, cook-off, campfire
Earn: Climb Mt Greylock and earn one of six highest peaks of New England patch
Required: Waivers for trip must be signed by Parent / Guardian. Please also sign the online waver sent in the email.
Gear: See Scout Handbook, pack for overnight stay in tents ie sleeping bag and mat.
- Clothing and change (zero cotton!!!!! No jeans, no cotton shirts etc)
- Hiking boots for the hike( or suitable footwear)
- Swim gear and toe covered water shoes or camp shoes for rafting
- Towel or camp towel
- Second pair of shoe’s just in case it’s wet
- toiletries (normal hygiene stuff)
- Sleeping mat
- Sleeping bag
- Pillow if you want (inflatable or since we are car camping regular also works)
- Mess kit - plate, spork, mug ( mug can act as bowl or bring bowl)
- Head lamp
- Pocket knife (every Scout needs a pocket knife
- For day hike
- Day pack for hike, water bottles (2x nalgene) or camel pack for at least 2 liters of water
- Rain coat
- Personal 1st aid kit
- Hat, sunscreen, bug spray
- Hand sanitizer
- Hiking poles (optional)
Note: We have walk-in campsites (320 ft) from parking area